THE HEALTH PROFESSIONAL AND CLIENT CARE
PECH 2001 will allow students to apply the philosophies, values and principles of medical professionalism. They also need to have proper sight of themselves in relation to client care, as the practice of health professionals treating charts and not clients must be discouraged. The health professional-client relationship emerges as one of the main areas where negative impressions of the healthcare system originate. Therefore, proper understanding of the client, empathy and professional responsibility are crucial characteristics for health professionals. It is anticipated that the benefits gained from this course will have a lasting impact in their evolving and life-long careers. This course builds upon PECH 1001 in which the concept of the social contract between healthcare professionals and society was introduced.
Dr. Farid Youssef is the Course Lecturer, Mrs. Stella Williams is the Course Co-ordinator, Mrs. Allison Shepherd is the Course Instructor and Rae-ann Smith is one of 12 Tutors of the course.
Aims and Objectives
This course will help students to:
- Acquire an introduction to client care in the health system;
- Learn core professional principles and perspectives on client care;
- Acquire an appreciation for client-centered treatment in healthcare;
- Recognize the significance of having a proper understanding of the client and fostering a sound health professional-client relationship;
- Understand their own emotional attitudes and ensure that encounters with clients are free of bias;
- Commit to and apply the highest levels of client care during interactions with clients.
Specific Learning Objectives
- Recognize and explain the importance of understanding the client;
- Evaluate techniques for ensuring client compliance;
- Analyze client characteristics and select appropriate approaches for different contexts and situations;
- Evaluate the need for core professional principles of quality client care in various healthcare cases;
Compare perceptions and motivations of health professionals;
- Present themselves properly before clients;
- Effectively use appearance and communication in interacting with clients;
- Recognize the importance of empathy and professional responsibility in client care;
- Apply the right balance between empathy and professional responsibility;
- Employ practical empathetic skills in client interactions.